[JPL] Re' Kenny Drew Jr's remarks

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 10 13:17:09 EDT 2006

I read that commentary by KD a short while before it was published
here, and was reminded of Pat Metheny's comment on "G" which was a
similar cry against dumbing down music, but without the racial aspects.

I thought of both for a moment yesterday after a concert by the Seattle
Symphony which is currently in the middle of a Shostakovich festival.
Mstislav Rostropovich, who knew both Shostakovich and Prokofiev, was in
town to conduct several concerts and this one included Shostakovich's
rarely performed First Symphony.  S. sketched this one for a
composition class at Leningrad Conservatory when he was 19 and finished
scoring it in a matter of weeks!  The faculty was amazed and
recommended the work to the Leningrad Symphony which premiered it in
May of that year (1926) and it was the first public triumph for a young
musician who quickly became one of the most important composers of the
20th century.  It also got an ovation from a couple thousand people in
Seattle yesterday.

Coming out and heading for a drink and a bite to eat after the concert
I was thinking "I wonder how many 19 year olds are writing 40-minute
compostions scored for 90 piece orchestras today?" when what should I
hear but a "fump / tshew / fump / tshew/ fump"  from a passing car.
One has to wonder about our musical progress ....

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org