[JPL] Legends of Jazz's 1st episode

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Mon Apr 10 13:21:53 EDT 2006

Bobby Jax wrote <<< Speaking of jazz in Chicago, has anyone seen the first
installment of Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis on television?  I'm
interested in your assessments of it's performance, positive and negative of
course. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was fortunate to have seen a sneak preview of the initial show and then
viewed it again when it aired on PBS, by the way both of Denver's PBS
affiliates are airing it every Sunday night, one at 10:30pm and the other at
11pm. Although I like this double exposure I obviously wanted either or both
stations to have given it better positioning instead of late Sunday night,
the lowest viewing audience numbers time, once again the US' patrimony goes
to the back of the bus....

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, IMO the Paq-Man as always stole the show,
Moody was fabulous and I continue in awe of Miss Nancy Wilson. Brilliant
performances and I give it double thumbs up despite a very poor choice of
the artist chosen to represent the new generation of singers or
instrumentalists. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the major
multi-national corporations $pon$soring the series had something to do with
the artist selection.  I have not been able to see any of the others in the
series and I forgot to set my VHS for the Ray "Hard Hands" Barretto show so
I have my fingers crossed one of the 2 PBS outlets will repeat the shows, if
not there's always the DVD.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89-KUVO
The Oasis In The City