[JPL] Stirring the kaka.... Legends of Jazz

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 13:56:27 EDT 2006

Arturo, my sentiments exactly until I heard him live.   I'll agree
there are lots of fine young trumpet players (who he's not going to
replace in my book) but my point was CB is a solid cat whose
versatility and skill extend well beyond what you see and hear on his
CDs. I went to check him out expecting to leave after a couple of tunes
before I nodded out, but had no trouble staying awake for the entire
set.   I had him pegged as a "Chet Baker wannabee" too from the
marketing images, but he's a good player.

I know the smooth jazz crowd there to see him each night last week got
exposed to more solid jazz than they hear at most shows they attend and
they seemed to love it, too!   Nothin' wrong with that in my book.

Jim