[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 4/14/06

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Fri Apr 14 23:39:29 EDT 2006

Friday, April 14, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

SPECIAL FEATURE: TIPPIN' THE JUG / GENE AMMONS (b. 4/14/1925)

8:00pm
Horace Parlan: THEME: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:04pm
Sonny Rollins; (recorded April 14, 1957): Misterioso,
Sonny Rollins Volume Two (Blue Note)
Karrin Allyson: Strollin', Footprints (Concord)

8:30am
Live Interview with Darren Barrett
Darren Barrett (at RegattaBar, April 18th): First One Up,
Live from Studio One (Only on 89.7FM)
Darren Barrett; Myron Walden: Miles, Test Pressing

8:48pm
Darren Barrett; Myron Walden: The Road Ahead, Test Pressing

8:56pm
Darren Barrett Quintet: Dee's Theme, Live from Studio One (Only on 89.7FM)

9:00pm
SPECIAL FEATURE; Gene Ammons: Skylark, Gentle Jug (Prestige)
Gene Ammons: Twisting The Jug, Organ Combos (Prestige)
Gene Ammons: 'Round About 1a.m., The 78 Era (Prestige)

9:21pm
Billy Eckstine: Blowing The Blues Away; Lonesome Lover Blues; I Love The
Rhythm in A Riff, Billy Eckstine 1944-1945 (Classics)
Albert Ammons; Gene Ammons: St. Louis Blues; Shufflin' The Boogie; S.P.
Blues, Blues, Boogie and Bop: The 40s Mercury Recordings (Mercury)

9:41pm
Gene Ammons: My Romance, Boss Tenor (Prestige)
Gene Ammons: I Want to Be Loved, Late Hour Special (Prestige)
Gene Ammons: You Go To My Head; My Foolish Heart, Young Jug (Chess/GRP)
Gene Ammons: Red Top, Gene Ammons (Jazz Archive)

10:06pm
Gene Ammons; John Coltrane: It Might As Well Be Spring,
Groove Blues (Prestige)
Dexter Gordon; Gene Ammons: The Chase, The Chase (Prestige)

10:32pm
Gene Ammons; Sonny Stitt: Sleeping Susan, Soul Summit (Prestige)
Gene Ammons; Count Basie: If You See My Baby,
Count Basie 1949: Shoutin' Blues (RCA Bluebird)
Gene Ammons: Chabootie, Gene Ammons: The 78 Era (Prestige)
Gene Ammons: Angel Eyes, Gene Ammons: Gentle Jug Volume 3 (Prestige)

10:52am
Gene Ammons: The Party's Over, Late Hour Special (Prestige)
Gene Ammons: Goodbye, Goodbye (Prestige)

11:05pm
Randy Weston (Regatta Bar May 18,19): Ballad for T (Thelonious),
Zep Tepi (Randon Chance)
Larry Goldings: Jackie-ing, Quartet (Palmetto)
Paul Motian: Evidence, Garden of Eden (ECM)
Jerry Gonzalez: Monk Soniquete (Monk's Dream),
Y Los Parates del Flamenco (Sunnyside)
Oscar Castro-Neves: 'Round Midnight, All One (Mack Avenue)

11:34pm
Vincent Herring: Ends and Means, Ends and Means (HighNote)
Reuben Hoch; Don Friedman: Beatrice, Of Recent Time (NAIM )

11:48pm
Eddie Henderson: Dubai, Echoes (Disques Futura et Marge)

Only on 89.7! performances and recordings are exclusive WGBH Radio
productions and are not commercially available.