[JPL] Jazz Lover Fiddling With Bass Causes Bomb Scare on East Side

MFT Jazz mft at mftjazz.com
Sat Apr 15 20:15:08 EDT 2006

   April 15, 2006

  Jazz Lover Fiddling With Bass Causes Bomb Scare on East Side

   By [1]KAREEM FAHIM

   The easy listening habits of Grantley Richards met with a large police
   response  early  yesterday,  shutting  several  Manhattan  blocks  and
   causing a brief panic.

   The  chaos  that  unfolded on East 67th Street during the morning rush
   started with a stereo speaker that looked like a bomb. Eventually, the
   drama  ended up involving Slovakian diplomats, the Japanese ambassador
   to the [2]United Nations and a robot that fires water projectiles.

   When it was all over, Mr. Richards's minivan, where he has listened to
   much  jazz  and  some reggae, sat covered in police tape, with most of
   its windows blown out.

   A  law  enforcement  official  said it was Mr. Richards's love of bass
   that caused the problem.

   The  police gave this account: About 8 a.m., Mr. Richards's minivan, a
   Mercury  Villager,  was  parked  on East 67th Street between Fifth and
   Madison  Avenues,  outside the residence of the Japanese ambassador to
   the United Nations.

   A  woman who works in a building on the block noticed a strange device
   inside  it,  and  the  police were summoned. The device was a cylinder
   with  wires  sticking  out  if  it,  and  numbers  on its display kept
   changing..

   The  Police  Department's  bomb  disposal  unit  sprang  into  action,
   deploying  a robot that fired a water projectile through the minivan's
   windows and then took X-rays of the interior.

   Time  passed.  Three blocks of Fifth Avenue were shut down, as well as
   67th  Street  between  Fifth  and  Madison.  The  police developed the
   X-rays.  At  some  point,  some  people  who  worked  for  the  Slovak
   Republic's  permanent  representative to the United Nations ran out of
   their  building  and  down  Madison--  to  the displeasure of officers
   trying  to  keep  the  area calm -- according to a building worker who
   witnessed the episode, Ron Dikoli.

   Determining  that  the device was not an explosive, the police sent an
   officer  wearing a bomb-resistant suit to recover the thing, which Mr.
   Richards described later, in an interview at his home in the Bronx.

   He  said  it  was a speaker that enhances the bass. "I'm able to enjoy
   the music the way I like to hear it," he said.

   Of the flashing numbers, he said: "I kind of liked the luminescence of
   it."

   Mr.  Richards,  who  works  as  a  houseman at luxury hotels, said the
   police  were  apologetic,  telling him that the city would pay for the
   damage to his car, which he estimated at more than $1,000.

   Of  his  parking space yesterday, he said, "I'll probably try to avoid
   that spot in the future."

   --

   Russ Neff
   My Favorite Things