[JPL] PLAYLIST: The Return of the Jazz Clinic 04/15/06

Matthew Merewitz mmerewit at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 17 03:12:53 EDT 2006

Though I intended to do a whole four hour show of tunes with the chord
changes to "I Got Rhythm" by George Gershwin (among musicians these types of
tunes are called "rhythm changes"), I could only hack it for the first of
the four hours. And even in that first hour, I was wrong with a couple cuts.
Monk's "Nutty" and Sonny Rollins' "Airegin" are not rhythm changes tunes.

Joe Pass/Ella Fitzgerald/Count Basie -- Digital III At Montreux (Pablo) --
Oleo

Thelonious Monk -- Misterioso (Prestige) -- Nutty

Charlie Parker -- Yardbird Suite: The Ultimate Charlie Parker Collection
(Verve) -- Salt Peanuts

Bill Frisell -- This Land (Elektra/Nonesuch) -- Resistor

Charlie Parker -- Yardbird Suite: The Ultimate Charlie Parker Collection
(Verve) -- Moose the Mooche

Sonny Stitt -- The Champ (32 Jazz) -- The Eternal Triangle

Michael Carvin -- Marsalis Music Honors Michael Carvin (Marsalis Music) --
In Walked Bud

J.J. Johnson -- Let's Hang Out (Verve/Gitanes)-- Syntax

Woody Herman -- Woody Herman's Greatest Hits (Columbia) -- Apple Honey

Count Basie & His Orchestra -- Good Time Blues (Fantasy) -- Jumpin' at the
Woodside

Maynard Ferguson -- The Big F (Columbia) -- Airegin

Red Garland Trio -- At The Prelude (Prestige/Concord) -- There Will Never Be
Another You

Joris Teepe's Groningen Art Ensemble -- Jazz In Jazz Out (Planet Arts) --
Blood Count

David Berkman -- Communication Theory (Palmetto) -- Weird Knock

The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra -- Up From the Skies (Music of Jim McNeely)
(Planet Arts) -- You Tell Me

Jimmy Cobb's Mob -- Marsalis Music Honors Jimmy Cobb (Marsalis Music) --
Tell Me

Ornette Coleman -- Something Else! The Music of Ornette Coleman (Blue Note)
-- When Will the Blues Leave?/The Sphinx

Charles Gayle -- Time Zones (Tomkins Square) -- Rhythm Twins

Sonny Stitt/Bud Powell/J.J. Johnson -- s/t (Prestige) -- Sonny Side/Bud's
Blues

Erik Friedlander -- Prowl (Cryptogramophone) -- A Dangerous Game

Walter Smith III -- Casually Introducing Walter Smith III (Fresh Sound New
Talent) -- Duke Ellington's Sound of Love

Edsel Gomez -- Cubist Music (Zoho) -- The Minetta Triangle

Paul Motian Trio -- Motian in Tokyo (JMT Productions) -- Mumbo Jumbo

Dave Holland -- Emerald Tears (ECM) -- Solar/Flurries

Dave Holland Quintet -- The Razor's Edge (ECM) -- Blues for C.M.

Mia Doi Todd -- La Ninja: Amor and Other Dreams of Manzanita (Plug Research)
-- What if We Do?

Paul Motian Band -- Garden of Eden (ECM) -- Endless

Chris Potter -- Traveling Mercies (Universal France/Verve) -- Megalopolis

Hiromi -- Spiral (Telarc) -- Spiral

Charlie Hunter Trio -- Copperopolis (Ropeadope) -- The Pursuit Package

Colin Stranahan -- Transformation (Capri) -- Pieces of Mind

Fred Hersch -- In Amsterdam: Live at the Bimhuis (Palmetto) -- Evidence

--
Matt Merewitz
Music Director
music email: extmusic at wrct.org