[JPL] LIstener Question

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 17 16:52:00 EDT 2006

Bob -

 From  www.allmovie.com:

"Aside from the stellar work of Cage and Shue--one of the best
performances in Leaving Las Vegas comes from its soundtrack. A
haunting, moody jazz score composed by writer/director Mike Figgis
himself, it perfectly complements the film's narrative, oozing with a
graceful, understated foreboding. Rarely has a soundtrack been so
intrinsic to a film's subject matter."

 From www.allmusic.com:

Review by  William Ruhlmann
Trumpeter and keyboard player Mike Figgis composed a number one jazz
album with his score to the film Leaving Las Vegas , most of which
consisted of low-key, moody jazz pieces, along with five vocal numbers,
three standards ("Angel Eyes," "My One and Only Love," and "It's a
Lonesome Old Town") sung by Sting with just a piano and acoustic bass
accompaniment, one ("Come Rain or Come Shine") by Don Henley , and a
song by the neo-rockabilly band the Palladinos . Oddly, the score was
interspersed by excerpts from the film's dialogue. Since Nicholas Cage
won an Academy Award for his acting and Elizabeth Shue was nominated,
it could be argued that these portions contained at least aural
representations of good acting, but the use of spoken word passages was
odd for a soundtrack album (though it has become increasingly common on
cast albums).

Releases
Year Type Label Catalog #

2000 CD Ark 21  810055