[JPL] FCC Payola Probe Widens

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Apr 20 11:43:29 EDT 2006

Thanks Bob for posting this article on a subject that is of my keen
interest. There's a great book on the subject of payola that came about
after the 1959 radio convention that took place on Miami Beach. I can't
recall the exact title, it may be "Radio Hit Men", I have it at home so I'll
serach my library for it and post details, title, author, publisher.

inquiry since Congress opened hearings on pay-for-play in 1960. Those
inquiries resulted in the first federal "payola" laws and killed the career
of famed disc jockey Alan Freed, who pleaded guilty to two counts of
commercial bribery and was fined $300.  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

How true, then there's the case of another famous radio personality who was
just as guilty but got away squeaky clean establishing his "school boy"
image still being capitalized nowadays... Dick Clark.

Arturo