[JPL] i need help/music clrncs-radio programming

Toby Gleason toby_gleason at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 20 13:40:02 EDT 2006

To anyone on this list that produces radio programming for distribution
beyond their originating station,

I'm trying to create a series of radio specials, for broadcast
distribution beyond KRCB, from my late father's audio taped interview
collection, entitled "Ralph J. Gleason's Conversations." I want to
embed in the programs complete music selections that are pertinent to
the conversations and I want to distribute these shows to radio
stations on CD, through KRCB.

ASCAP and BMI tell me that KRCB's blanket license doesn't cover putting
the shows on CD and Harry Fox Agency tells me that I have to clear each
and every song, for each and every show, with the record label, the
artist and the publisher, in addition to clearing the mechanical rights
through them, in order to put them on CD.

Is this true? How does anyone afford, in time or money, to produce
radio programming that is distributed to stations on CD? Does anyone
have any constructive ideas? I'd appreciate any advice I can get. This
is great interview material and it would be a real shame if it never
got heard. Please reply off the list.

Thanks.

Toby Gleason
Jazz Director, KRCB-FM