[JPL] Syracuse Jazz Fest

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 20 21:36:05 EDT 2006

Interesting juxtaposition of messages on JPL ... Kenny Drew Jr's
comments about "going on strike" because he doesn't want to work $100
club gigs anymore, and the Syracuse Jazz Fest promotion which doesn't
name jazz artists.  There may be some, but they're not talking about
THEM.

Why is "jazz" such a popular buzz word and yet true jazz artists still
have to scuffle... while long dead jazz artists enjoy heights of
popularity they never knew when they were alive... and scuffling?

I'm sure Billie Holiday, for example, would have appreciated the fame
and sales more during her lifetime.

TV commercials use jazz as bg music, and yet jazz record sales are at
"record" low levels, and tv considers jazz to be too small an
attraction to warrant a feature, let alone a series.  (Yes, I know
about "Legends" but it's scheduled once after midnight on many pbs
stations.

And  "jazz festivals" headline and promote non-jazz performers?

Where did we go wrong?

Happy Jazz Appreciation Month!

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI