[JPL] More Kenny Drew Jr comments

philip booth philipbooth at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Apr 21 00:30:10 EDT 2006

hey, Jae:
I've seen Kenny playing some of those local hits around the Tampa Bay area
(and I played a couple with him way back in the day).
I, too, couldn't figure out why such an astonishingly talented pianist was
playing those $75 gigs and having to cart around his keyboard.
I think you're right on the money about his management, or lack thereof: If
there had been more of a game plan, some kind of strategy to help match his
prodigious talent with the right kinds of opportunities, then things might
be different. I'm not really sure what's been up with all of that.
On a related note, I continue to hear stories of good players in New York
making the same or less as some of the players down here in Florida. And for
the life of me, I can't figure out how they're able to pay $1600/month in
rent on two or three $100 gigs a week. Are they secretly working on Wall
Street during the day?
At any rate, it really is a disgrace what talented jazz artists are paid in
this country (while so many no-talents are raking in the gigantic buckos).
Sadly, I don't think there's a whole hell of lot about that that's going to
change anytime soon.
Philip Booth
Tampa, Fla.