[JPL] WBEZ

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 14:29:13 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/21/2006 2:18:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

<<...  While NPR's principle mission is news and information  it also has a
responsibility to present artistic musical programming - jazz,  classical,
etc...as does it's affiliates. It's also no secret the human voice  will draw more
than instrumental music but again the responsibility of it's  mission comes
to play. It's interesting to me in how they've change the  concept of the
mission. I wonder how much influence the burger heir had in  reference to them
reshaping their focus to primarily news programming????? The  message coming out
is something like....."world events are dictating our  direction." Really?
Perhaps it's two hundred million  dollars..>>

I don't think there are any "NPR stations," in the sense of central
programming a-la Clear Channel. NPR provides the programs, as do other  sources; the
local affiliates are free to use (purchase) what they want  from NPR, PRI, MPR,
APR, etc., etc., or to program their fare  locally.

What has happened to WBEZ, and is happening at other stations, is not an  NPR
issue, except to the extent that when a station goes all-talk, there is  one
fewer outlet to purchase syndicated music content like Piano Jazz, Jazz  After
Hours, etc.

As far as I can see, none of the syndicated programming is being decreased,
although if enough stations stop subscribing, surely that will happen  next.

Did any of the local NPR affiliates get any of Kroc's millions, or was it
all NPR itself?

Ed