[JPL] Introducing Robin McKelle

Nikolas Atkins nik at cheaplullaby.com
Fri Apr 21 15:13:31 EDT 2006

It¹s a remarkable voice -- a soul-infused alto tinged with haunting echoes
of the postwar jazz greats. For years its possessor, Robin McKelle, has
inched closer to her inevitable destiny with the spotlight. Having shared
stages with revered artists such as Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Terence
Blanchard, Michael McDonald, Jon Secada and others, McKelle now assumes
center stage with a debut solo album that exuberantly broadens the
boundaries of retro-swing.  Introducing Robin McKelle evokes the jazzy
spirit of 1940¹s America, while retaining a contemporary edge that speaks of
a new wartime. With its well-struck balance of potent swing and fearlessly
sentimental balladry, the album heralds the arrival of a peerless
interpretive artist.

In 2004, she entered the esteemed Thelonious Monk Vocal Jazz Competition in
Washington, DC, taking third place honors.  Robin has been offered a
featured soloist spot with the Boston Pops, The Rochester, Winnipeg and
Seattle Symphony Orchestras, and has several more orchestra dates on the
horizon.

A few weeks ago Susan Stamberg interviewed Robin, which aired on NPR¹s
Morning Edition.  In case you missed the piece, check out the link below.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5327173

The the following day they wrote a pretty cool article on Robin called The
NPR Effect.  Check it out.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5330445

Just wanted to let you all know about Robin, and her amazing record
Introducing Robin McKelle.  I have already sent out our radio mailing, and
hopefully hit all of you.  If you haven¹t received the record and are
interested in the music or would like more info on Robin, please feel free
to shoot me an email or give me a ring (contact info below).  And for those
of you who can¹t wait for the record, I¹ve posted a few songs for download
at the link below.

http://www.cheaplullaby.com/robinnewsite/Robinradiosite.html

Cheers to you all,

nik

--
Nik Atkins
Cheap Lullaby Records

As befitting a recording made by an incurable romantic, Introducing Robin
McKelle sounds more like a vintage live disc than the studio recording it
really is. The album¹s brassy, on-the-fly sound is a homage to the days when
jazz orchestras ruled America¹s dancehalls and concert theaters. ³We took an
old-school, big band approach, as opposed to the more modern three-harmony
stuff,² McKelle says. ³The musicianship on this record really allowed me to
step up. It pushed me to reach higher as a vocalist and a musician.²