[JPL] jae on kenny drew jr and beyond

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:47:26 EDT 2006

Well, many stations program live music. But the unifying element would
be a common source for funding such endeavours. For what it's worth
Blue Lake recently recorded Fred Hersch and then the Dave Rempis
Quartet in local performances, and broadcast live from the station a
local two saxophone with rhythm section band, with arrangements of
music by Sun Ra, amongst others: the Wonderland Ensemble. Earlier this
spring we did a live performance with bassist Matt Brewer, who's
father teaches in the area, as well as the Cuong Vu Trio.

We generally attempt to present at least one live jazz performance a
month from our studio and most of it is in the realm of the unheard
avant-garde, catching bands on the road. (Right now I'm aiming to get
Rodney Whitaker and Wes Anderson up here from their outpost at
Michigan State University). Though there's no one over riding
organizational group making this sort of activity possible, it does
happen at many of the local stations around the country. Yeah, it
would be GREAT if there was a central location to write asking for
funds to broadcast live jazz on the radio.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio