[JPL] For Kyle, re: rejecting music

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Mon Apr 24 19:21:24 EDT 2006

Kyle wrote <<<< What happened to the days when people programmed shows with
music that
sounded good?
Can you imagine how much music I'd be rejecting if a CD didn't have cut
lengths printed on the back cover? Or if the text was difficult to read
because of small size or poor color choice? The decision should be made by
your ears and not your eyes.
Why would someone play music from an artist for a short period of time but
pull it from rotation after that? By doing this we're telling the audience
"This song is good enough for you to listen to right now - while we're doing
some promotion - but after that you won't hear it again." That sounds just
like the commercial stations that will play Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick
Jr., Nat King Cole and other jazz legends when its time for holiday music,
but not in any other month.
Kyle Warren
Operations Director
Webmaster
Host of "A Tasteful Blend"
WICN 90.5 FM - HD
New England's Jazz & Folk Station
Worcester, MA   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Since your response included my post I imagine your reply was generated by
my remarks.
I don't claim to know your market or listeners of suburban Worcester
although I have visited
there often when I lived in nearby Framingham for a year in 1984 before I
became involved
in jazz radio.

It is comforting to know that you have time to process CDs without track
lengths or difficult to
read text. That's the difference between a small market, part-time jazz
station and a major market,
full-time jazz station. Receiving an average of 20 to 25 CDs every week I
have to create priority
stacks. I guarantee you jazz89KUVO's sound is far removed from any
commercial station.

When we are part of an event that has music as part of its menu, yet the
local artist doesn't have
a CD on the market, we will play a CDR in order to let the listeners hear
what they can expect, in
particular if we are interviewing the artist or the organizers of the event.

When one has to select CDs that will go into daily rotation to be handled by
over 27 on air hosts
every week, one is forced to look beyond the sound of the music, the artwork
and presentation has
an important role. I also have to consider if we begin playing a CD and a
listener wishes to acquire it,
will it be available at a brick n mortar store, a website or will the
listener have to contact the artist
to have them burn them another CDR from their computer.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89-KUVO
The Oasis In The City
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station