[JPL] Death of William Gottlieb, renowned jazz photographer

rgill7344 at aol.com rgill7344 at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 20:24:46 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Wilke <jwilke123 at comcast.net>
Cc: ed at jazzphotos.com
Sent: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:29:36 -0700
Subject: Re: [JPL] Death of William Gottlieb, renowned jazz photographer

JazzWeek.
 For more information visit us at http://www.jazzweek.com/jpl
  To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or
866-453-6401.

I was saddened to hear of this. I contacted him in 1997 regarding a
photo he had taken of Billy Strayhorn I wanted to use
in my concert. He was very kind to me and did not charge me very much
for its use.
May he rest in peace.
Ron Gill

  Thanks for forwarding that to the JPL list, Lee. William Gottlieb's
photos are iconic images of the world of jazz in the minds of most
people. A framed poster of his great photo "52nd Street, New York,
1948" is prominently displayed in my studio. It inspires me and
accompanies our "virtual pub crawls" on Jazz After Hours as we sample
the music being played in major jazz clubs each weekend.

  I extend our most sincere condolences to the family and appreciation
for the contribution William Gottlieb's photos have made to the world
of jazz.

 Jim Wilke
 Jazz After Hours, PRI
 www.jazzafterhours.org

 On Monday, April 24, 2006, at 05:54 AM, Lee Mergner wrote:

 >> From Ed Gottlieb, son of William Gottlieb:
 >
 > My father, William P. Gottlieb, died at home today. I am attaching a
 > brief biography which is mostly copied from his website,
  > www.jazzphotos.com. A more extensive bio with photographs can be
found
 > on the Library of Congress website:
  > http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wghtml/wgbio.html. Though he is best
known
 > as a world renowned photographer of jazz musicians he had many other
 > notable achievements in his life. Please feel free to call us if you
  > need additional information or a photo of Bill. We can be reached
at:
 > (516) 466-0495.
 > Thank you. Ed Gottlieb for the Gottlieb family.
 >
  > Born: Feb. 28, 1917 Married Delia Potofsky in 1939 (married 66
years)
 > Beloved by: wife Delia; children Barbara, Steven, Richard, Edward &
 > spouses Teri & Jacki; sister-in-law Jacqueline; grandchildren Leah,
  > Sara, Brian, Jason,Celia, & Noah; and great grandchildren Evan,
Lily, &
  > Enzo. Memorial Service will be held on Friday, April 28th at 11:00
at
  > Riverside-Nassau North Chapels, 55 North Station Plaza, Great Neck,
NY.
 > In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to: Jazz Musician
  > Emergency Fund c/o Jazz Foundation of America 3rd Floor 322 West
48th
  > Street New York, NY 10036 Email: pledge at jazzfoundation.org Although
he
  > hasn't photographed jazz people in more than 50 years, Bill
Gottlieb, > in
 > a 1990 Issue of Modern Photography, was called "The Great Jazz
  > Photographer." The New York Times credits Bill with "the flair of a
> high
 > artist." The New Yorker said, "Gottlieb stopped photographing jazz
 > musicians in 1948. No one has surpassed him yet." Bill first used a
  > camera in 1939 to illustrate his pioneering weekly jazz column,
"Swing
  > Sessions", in the Washington Post. He was paid for the writing, not
the
 > photography, and since the film, flash bulbs, and cameras (Speed
  > Graphics and Rolleis) were bulky and expensive, he typically made
only
 > three or four exposures a session (all taken "on location"). So he
  > learned to shoot very carefully. The photography paid off, it
enhanced
  > his column, later helped him become an Air Force photo officer in
WWII,
  > then clinched an editor's job on Down Beat Magazine (though he was >
still
  > not paid for his photos). Bill left the jazz scene in 1948 to
produce
 > educational filmstrips, eventually as president of University
  > Films/McGraw-Hill. He also wrote and illustrated 16 books, mostly
for
  > children. One of his GOLDEN BOOKS, "Laddie the Superdog" sold more
than
 > one million copies. Upon retiring from McGraw-Hill in 1979, Bill
  > published his old jazz photos as The Golden Age of Jazz. The New
York
  > Times predicted that Bill also "seems to be entering the golden age
of
  > William P. Gottlieb." How prescient! His jazz images have since >
appeared
  > on more than 350 record album and CD covers, on two dozen posters,
and > a
 > like number of postcards and T-shirts. They have been in hundreds of
  > books, magazines, calendars, TV documentaries, and even in major
motion
  > pictures as background atmosphere or used to recreate a historic
site.
 > Meanwhile, exhibitions of the prints have appeared in more than 160
  > venues,from the Museum of Modern Art in Stockholm,Sweden, to the
Navio
 > Museum in Osaka, Japan. The Golden Age of Jazz is now in it's 13th
 > printing. Some of Bill's photos,starting with Duke Ellington, were
  > acquired by the National Portrait Gallery: and his images are the
basis
  > of four US Postage Stamps. In 1997, the New Jersey Jazz Society
honored
  > him as the non-musician who did the most for jazz that year. In
1998,
  > Down Beat presented Bill with their annual Lifetime achievement
award.
 > In a recent 12 month period, 21 different books were published that
  > included some of Gottlieb's photos. The Library of Congress, using >
funds
  > from the Ira & Leonore S. Gershwin Fund,purchased all 1700 of >
Gottlieb's
  > jazz images "for posterity". Bill retains the copyright and
commercial
 > rights for many years to come. Bill was also a competitive tennis
 > player. With son, Steven, he was frequently the Number One ranked
  > father-son team in the Eastern United States, as well as being twice
in
 > the top eight teams in the United States.

  This week's sponsor: ''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' by LAWRENCE
LEBO

  ''Lebo is in excellent form throughout'' - Scott Yanow, L.A. Jazz
Scene
  ''...a truly talented singer, a fresh voice on the scene.'' - Jacques
Emond, host ''Swing is in the Air'', CKCU-FM 93.1 - Programming
Director Ottawa International Jazz Festival
  '' She has that classic jazz embolic style as she cavorts with the
violin and guitar and those savoy stylings. Ms Lebo is a lovely
traditionalist spinning melodies haven't heard quite like this since
those romantic, turbulent thirties and forties.'' - Dick Crocket, host
''Still Another Jazz Show'', Sacramento, CA

  West Coast Vocalist/Composer/Arranger LAWRENCE LEBO straddles the
boundaries of traditional American music, creating her own innovative
hybrid of jazz/blues/roots musical styling. ''don't call her Larry,
volume 2'' is her second release for ON THE AIR RECORDS.
  In this follow up to her critically acclaimed debut EP, Ms. LEBO
swings, scats and moans her way through both originally penned
compositions, and originally arranged classics that run the gamut from
contemporary jazz, acoustic swing, to rocking electric blues. Ms. LEBO
has shared the stage with such jazz greats as BOBBY BRADFORD, and has
been featured on NPR's WEEKEND EDITION SHOW, hosted by LIANE HANSEN.
  ''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' is Radio friendly and coming to a
Radio station near you. With her newest release, LAWRENCE is sure to
keep her loyal fans smiling, as well as to recruit new worshipers
  Contact Denny Croy (sideman at sbcglobal.net) at On The Air Records, or
call (818) 708-9565. Visit LAWRENCE LEBO at www.lawrencelebo.com.