[JPL] WBEZ

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 20:50:49 EDT 2006

"Ah, but did the series make any converts? Have Jazz sales for current
musicians also risen, in the aftermath of people discovering Satchmo and Duke?"

  Ed,  the answer to your first question is yes. I travel a lot and in my clinics and workshops students and folk all over had a chance to see some of it and learned SOMETHING about this music.  What I see that lacks is that "Jazz" planted a big seed for many but that seed needed to be nurtured. With that nurturing process - and that's exactly what it is, a process - would come many of the things we would have hoped for like better sales and visiblity for all jazz artists. Unfortunately there are few avenues for this to happen and as a result the small bit of momentum "Jazz" perhaps created - basically stalled. Sadly too, the overwhelming flood of criticism for the "Jazz" series came from those with a point of departure of understanding of jazz. Not enough focus on a certain style or generation of musicians.....etc.

  Ken Burns' fundamental intention I think with the series was to bring more into jazz that otherwise wouldn't be here and not to sell records. In that regard it was a success. I for one remain positive. There's enough cynicism in this industry.The other downside to this is that there was such tremendous criticism towards "Jazz" that I doubt very seriously if any TV outlet would want to take the chance on producing something like it and presenting it in a primetime slot again. It's a classic case of shooting ourselves in the foot.

  Jae Sinnett

EdBride at aol.com wrote:
To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

In a message dated 4/24/2006 7:31:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,