[JPL] WBEZ

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 21:04:23 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/24/2006 8:52:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:
<<..Ken Burns' fundamental intention I think with the series  was to bring
more into jazz that otherwise wouldn't be here and not to sell  records. In that
regard it was a success. I for one remain positive. There's  enough cynicism
in this industry.The other downside to this is that there was  such tremendous
criticism towards "Jazz" that I doubt very seriously if any TV  outlet would
want to take the chance on producing something like it and  presenting it in a
primetime slot again. It's a classic case of shooting  ourselves in the foot.

..>>

Well, we see it every year on PBS, during fundraising, so it can't be all
bad. And there's the new series, so ditto my remark.

I'm not sure that was his fundamental intention, by the way. As a historian
first, he came to love Jazz during the process of researching the series. His
intention of the entire trilogy (Baseball, The Civil War, and Jazz) seemed
to be to present a cultural history of America, and viewed through a black
American's perspective. Some of the resentment of his work is racist, other is
based on the absence of post-1965 music.

I think his series was not necessarily aimed at a knowledgeable Jazz
audience, and I think that most of the resentment has been expressed by the
already-converted. For the masses, I think he did better than a credible,  creditable
job of presenting a survey/anthology of Jazz.

Ed