[JPL] WBEZ

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 24 22:09:49 EDT 2006

Ed wrote...

" His  (Ken Burns) intention of the entire trilogy (Baseball, The Civil War,
and Jazz) seemed  to be to present a cultural history of America, and viewed
through a black
American's perspective. "

That is not altogether accurate Ed.  First of all, I don't think Ken Burns
is truly capable of telling a story through a Black American's eyes since he
is White.  The entire trilogy was really the about the same story much like
spokes that lead to the center of a wheel.  It is the story of how we as a
country learn to live together as Blacks and Whites.  These distinct and
different lenses that he chose were appropriate.  There would be no Baseball
series if it were not for the Major and Negro leagues.  There would not be a
Civil War series if not for the peculiar institution of slavery and the
fight which ensued around the liberation of people who were enslaved under a
government that built itself on the ideals of freedom and justice for all.
There would not be a Jazz series if it were not for the coming together of
these two races who had a stake in creating this music (the latin tinge was
not adequately discussed in this but that's another topic that sorely needs
to be discussed as well).  On my television screen I saw a white man with a
Ken Burns font underneath his screen image.  He did a masterful job and he
made some jazz converts in this process including himself.  As Jae pointed
out, we need to keep cultivate that seed and find other opportunities to
make this happen.  Going down the same road we're travelling is not going to
cut the mustard.

Bobby Jackson