[JPL] Joe's 80th Birthday 'Kick Off Party' at Joe's BeBop Cafe, Navy Pier Chicago

Kathryn Smith katesmith999 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 15:09:35 EDT 2006

  Chicago's Jazz Showcase impresario Joe Segal celebrated the first of his jestfully promised two year long 80th Birthday Bash(es)last night at his Navy Pier restaurant/jazz room Joe’s BeBop Cafe... to a packed house of family, friends, jazz luminaries and legends... wonderful tributes... smokin' jam!!! [cell phone pictures attached]

  I've included the last photo of guests... aka local 'luminaries and legends' you should know... and to support and prize their commitment to Jazz.  This Sunday - April 30th they are presenting yet another very special Chicago event, 32nd Annual Duke Ellington Tribute Concert. [more in URL below]

  Jazz vocalist Geraldine (Bey) DeHaas (center) initiated the first Chicago Grant Park Jazz Festival with a Tribute to Duke Ellington, and this Sunday will be the 32nd Annual - Founder of Jazz Unites and the South Shore Jazz Festival – sister of Andy Bey, Andy Bey and the Bey Sisters –

  Reggie Willis (kneeling)I especially want you to know, and personally acknowledge. Anthony Wonsey's CD is currently burnin' up your playlists... Reggie Willis was his very influential High School music teacher who played a major role in embracing Anthony's talents and developing his formative career. Reggie introduced 16 year old Anthony to me the week I opened the doors to my club, the Bop Shop. And Anthony became the first pianist to ground the Sunday Night Vocal Jam... followed by Reggie's even younger student Brandon McCune (presently with Neenha Freelon). –

  Eddie DeHaas (right) bassist extraordinaire, just web search him...
  Fun Note: young swingin’ Eddie (we joke, ‘with hair’, and Geraldine in Paris Club scene
 Chet Baker film "Let’s Get Lost".

  CHICAGO JAZZ EVENTS (THIS WEEKEND) NOT TO BE MISSED:

  Jazz Showcase will close Friday 28th
  for Joe's Grand 80th Birthday Tribute
  at the Symphony Center.

  JAZZ UNITES
  32nd Annual Duke Ellington Tribute Concert
  Sunday – 30th April – James R. Thompson Center
  Assembly Hall – Concourse Level
  100 W. Randolph
  http://www.jazzunitesinc.org/Home.htm

  Anthony Wonsey will be home and contributing his performance to this event.

  PS
  Joe’s youngest daughter "Baby Girl" Julia
 also unnamed great granddaughter in the picture.

KATE SMITH PROMOTIONS of CHICAGO

1413 Dobson Street, Suite 100
Evanston IL 60202-3717
katesmith999 at yahoo.com