[JPL] "Caravan"

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Wed Apr 26 15:15:25 EDT 2006

Rebecca:

I've got two: the original Ellington small group recording from 1937 available on "The Duke's Men Vol. 1" (Sony/Columbia) and Junko Onishi's trio Blue Note recording from 1993 entitled "Crusin'".  It captures a lot of the original's feel and spirit at the outset of the tune through Rodney Whitaker's bass work and Billy Higgins ain't too shabby either.  Junko's solo is a marvel of construction making a very over-recorded tune sound quite fresh.

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
Volunteer Jazz DJ
KUVO Denver 89.3 FM