[JPL] How many 24/7 Jazz stations exist today?

Bouille, John JBouille at SHAWU.EDU
Thu Apr 27 14:29:08 EDT 2006

WSHA Radio 88,9 FM in Raleigh is a 24/7 jazz station with live local hosts all the time.

John Bouille
WSHA Program Director
118 East South Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
1-800-241-0421 ~ 919-546-8433

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com]On Behalf Of Shaunna Morrison
Machosky
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:35 PM
To: Jazz Programmers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [JPL] How many 24/7 Jazz stations exist today?

To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

KPLU Seattle is dual format -- lots of jazz and
blues, but the NPR newsmags as well. (just like
my station)

They do have a 24-hr jazz HD2 channel  and 24-hr. jazz web stream.

KJZZ Phoenix is also dual format jazz/NPR

If web counts, some stations have 24-hr online
jazz channels to supplement their online
simulcast.

For anyone who can listen to HD2 channels (not
many people yet, I know) there are some
additional public stations with a 24-hr jazz HD2
and ten commercial stations running a 24-hr
trad/classic jazz channel.

-Shaunna @ WDUQ Pittsburgh

>Greg wrote <<< Tom's note just got me thinking:
>How many 24/7 Jazz stations exist today?
>We would be one. >>>
>
>Here at jazz89KUVO over 90% of our weekly output is jazz so we are one,
>KKJZ-Long Beach-LA, KSDS-San Diego, KCSM-San Mateo-SF,WBGO-Newark-NY,
>WGMC-Rochester, KPLU-Seattle-Tacoma, not quite sure about the San José,
>Saint Louis, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas or Phoenix stations. My former
>stomping grounds of Miami has WDNA with about 80% jazz and I'm sure there
>are others
>
>Arturo Gómez

This week's sponsor: ''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' by LAWRENCE LEBO

''Lebo is in excellent form throughout'' - Scott Yanow, L.A. Jazz Scene

''...a truly talented singer, a fresh voice on the scene.'' - Jacques Emond, host ''Swing is in the Air'', CKCU-FM 93.1 - Programming Director Ottawa International Jazz Festival

'' She has that classic jazz embolic style as she cavorts with the violin and guitar and those savoy stylings. Ms Lebo is a lovely traditionalist spinning melodies haven't heard quite like this since those romantic, turbulent thirties and forties.'' - Dick Crocket, host ''Still Another Jazz Show'', Sacramento, CA

West Coast Vocalist/Composer/Arranger LAWRENCE LEBO straddles the boundaries of traditional American music, creating her own innovative hybrid of jazz/blues/roots musical styling. ''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' is her second release for ON THE AIR RECORDS.

In this follow up to her critically acclaimed debut EP, Ms. LEBO swings, scats and moans her way through both originally penned compositions, and originally arranged classics that run the gamut from contemporary jazz, acoustic swing, to rocking electric blues. Ms. LEBO has shared the stage with such jazz greats as BOBBY BRADFORD, and has been featured on NPR's WEEKEND EDITION SHOW, hosted by LIANE HANSEN.

''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' is Radio friendly and coming to a Radio station near you. With her newest release, LAWRENCE is sure to keep her loyal fans smiling, as well as to recruit new worshipers

Contact Denny Croy (sideman at sbcglobal.net) at On The Air Records, or call (818) 708-9565. Visit LAWRENCE LEBO at www.lawrencelebo.com.