[JPL] Ornette Coleman's Liner Notes

J Stein jstein at berklee.edu
Thu Apr 27 23:19:11 EDT 2006

Jae,

Ornette was given an honorary doctorate by Berklee College of Music
in January during our annual faculty development mini-conference.  Jo
Ann Brackeen, who is a member of the Berklee faculty, has been
hanging with him and arranged it.  She and Greg Osby did a tribute to
Ornette, played a couple of his tunes.  Then Ornette was publicly
interviewed by another faculty member.  It was pretty interesting, to
say the least.  I think Ornette communicates on a some levels very
deeply.  He wears a mantle of wisdom, utter sincerity, and
spirituality.  He spoke from those places and I heard him.  It wasn't
easy to follow his words on a logical level so, instead of listening
to him with my intellect, I listened with my heart and in my gut.

Best,

John Stein