[JPL] Ornette Coleman's Liner Notes

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 23:58:12 EDT 2006

>Has anyone read Ornette Coleman's liner notes for the Odean Pope CD "Locked
>& Loaded?" I got it.......I think. For a moment I thought someone slipped
>something in my orange juice. Has anyone ever interviewed him? If so, how
>did it go?
>   Jae Sinnett

Ornette has always lived in his own world. It's worth re-reading A.B.
Spellman's book "Four Jazz Lives" (formerly Four Lives In The Bebop
Business), which has an interesting chapter on Ornette, much of it in his
own voice. There's also a fascinating interview w/Ornette in Art Taylor's
book "Notes & Tones." More recently, Robin James wrote a short interview
w/Ornette in the Dec. '05 issue of Down Beat. And if you can find it, take a
look at Shirley Clarke's film "Ornette: Made In America."

I would also like to know if anyone here has interviewed him.

Larry Appelbaum