[JPL] Ornette Coleman's Liner Notes

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 28 13:10:47 EDT 2006

You have to think harmolodically

On Thursday 27 April 2006 23:58, Larry Appelbaum wrote:

Has anyone read Ornette Coleman's liner notes for the Odean Pope CD
"Locked & Loaded?" I got it.......I think. For a moment I thought someone
slipped something in my orange juice. Has anyone ever interviewed him? If
so, how did it go?
  Jae Sinnett

Ornette has always lived in his own world. It's worth re-reading A.B.
Spellman's book "Four Jazz Lives" (formerly Four Lives In The Bebop
Business), which has an interesting chapter on Ornette, much of it in his
own voice. There's also a fascinating interview w/Ornette in Art Taylor's
book "Notes & Tones." More recently, Robin James wrote a short interview
w/Ornette in the Dec. '05 issue of Down Beat. And if you can find it, take
a look at Shirley Clarke's film "Ornette: Made In America."

I would also like to know if anyone here has interviewed him.

Larry Appelbaum

I have interviewed Ornette. It was sometime in the early 80s. I really
enjoyed
the interview and it got a lot of positive response, if I remember
correctly.
The interview took an interesting turn when I mentioned a book to him that I
was pretty sure he was familiar with it. (Stanton Davis told me about the
book and he said Don Cherry told him about it) The book was called the Sufi
Message of Hazrat Inayat Khan which I had read about 10 years before the
interview. One volume in Khan's writings deals with music and sound. At one
time I knew lots of musicians who had read the book.

I have done hundreds of interviews but the Ornette interview is one of a
very
few that I've ever re-aired. I've been considering putting it up on our
website.

Larry Appelbaum mentioned A.B. Spellman's book. I read that book in 1971.
It's
title at that time was Black Music: Four Lives For The Bebop Business.
Shortly after I finished reading the book Ornette came to Boston to play at
the Jazz Workshop. I got a chance to spend some time with him and to talk
with him. Fred Taylor, who owned the club (and who now books Scullers and
the
Tanglewood Jazz Festival) introduced me to Charlie Haden. Charlie and I hung
out quite a bit. I remember the two of us searching for stores that sold
what
were called peasant shirts or blouses for Charlie. I interviewed Charlie
that
week and aired it on both stations that I was on. That was my first
interview.

Ornette gave me his phone number and told me to call him sometime when I got
to New York. I called him the next time I was there and he invited me to his
house! I think he was living on Prince Street at that time. I went to his
house and I was fascinated. His violin was sitting in one place, a plastic
alto was sitting on top of something, there were drums and I think I
remember
vibes. Ornette talked a lot. He was in a very good mood but he was clearly
frustrated with the music business. That was a wonderful afternoon that I
spent with Ornette.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM
www.wgbh.org/jazz
www.wgbhblogs.org/jazz

This week's sponsor: ''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' by LAWRENCE LEBO

''Lebo is in excellent form throughout'' - Scott Yanow, L.A. Jazz Scene

''...a truly talented singer, a fresh voice on the scene.'' - Jacques
Emond, host ''Swing is in the Air'', CKCU-FM 93.1 - Programming Director
Ottawa International Jazz Festival

'' She has that classic jazz embolic style as she cavorts with the violin
and guitar and those savoy stylings. Ms Lebo is a lovely traditionalist
spinning melodies haven't heard quite like this since those romantic,
turbulent thirties and forties.'' - Dick Crocket, host ''Still Another Jazz
Show'', Sacramento, CA

West Coast Vocalist/Composer/Arranger LAWRENCE LEBO straddles the
boundaries of traditional American music, creating her own innovative
hybrid of jazz/blues/roots musical styling. ''don't call her Larry, volume
2'' is her second release for ON THE AIR RECORDS.

In this follow up to her critically acclaimed debut EP, Ms. LEBO swings,
scats and moans her way through both originally penned compositions, and
originally arranged classics that run the gamut from contemporary jazz,
acoustic swing, to rocking electric blues. Ms. LEBO has shared the stage
with such jazz greats as BOBBY BRADFORD, and has been featured on NPR's
WEEKEND EDITION SHOW, hosted by LIANE HANSEN.

''don't call her Larry, volume 2'' is Radio friendly and coming to a Radio
station near you. With her newest release, LAWRENCE is sure to keep her
loyal fans smiling, as well as to recruit new worshipers

Contact Denny Croy (sideman at sbcglobal.net) at On The Air Records, or call
(818) 708-9565. Visit LAWRENCE LEBO at www.lawrencelebo.com.

If you are a JPL subscriber and not a subscriber to JazzWeek, you're missing
out!

Registration is also open for the JazzWeek Summit, June 15-17 in Rochester,
N.Y.