[JPL] The Royal Dan

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Fri Apr 28 15:16:01 EDT 2006

I completely agree with Jae... Tone Center has put out a fantastic series of jazz rock fusion tributes, this just the lastest (and they also put out the new Steve Khan, also excellent).  In a similar vein, if you your programming tends in that direction, I highly recommend Matthias Lupri's new one, "Metalix", on Summit, an extended suite with a fusion edge - I think his best work yet.  Also would like to highly agree with Jae on another of his recent posts regarding the Donny McCaslin on Sunnyside, although I think his tone on the sax is distinctly different from Chris Potter, at least to my ears.

Cheers,

Brad Stone
KSJS-FM
San Jose

For the fusion lovers out there.....Tone Center has done it again. Their latest "The Royal Dan - A Tribute," is fantastic. It's a tribute of course to Steely Dan but all instrumental. The rhythm section features the amazing Vinnie Colaiuta playing drums, Jimmy Haslip from the Yellowjackets - bass - and Peter Wolf keyboards. Ernie Watts is playing saxophone and it also features several guitar players ....including Al Di Meola, Mike Stern, Frank Gambale, Robben Ford, Jeff Richman and a few more.

  I don't think everyone gets serviced their product but for lovers of that style it's certainly worth checking into.

  Jae Sinnett
  WHRV FM
  Norfolk VA