[JPL] The Royal Dan

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 16:01:05 EDT 2006

Good to hear from you Brad and hope you're doing well. You would be correct sir......tone wise there is a distinct difference in Donnys' and Chris Potter's sound. I was referring more to stylistic and compositional similarities. In an ironic twist, after I wrote that post about Donny's CD I found out that he replaced Chris Potter in Dave Douglas' band. Give the ears some love Mr Stone :>)

  Jae Sinnett

"Bradley M. Stone" <bstone at science.sjsu.edu> wrote:
To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

I completely agree with Jae... Tone Center has put out a fantastic series of jazz rock fusion tributes, this just the lastest (and they also put out the new Steve Khan, also excellent). In a similar vein, if you your programming tends in that direction, I highly recommend Matthias Lupri's new one, "Metalix", on Summit, an extended suite with a fusion edge - I think his best work yet. Also would like to highly agree with Jae on another of his recent posts regarding the Donny McCaslin on Sunnyside, although I think his tone on the sax is distinctly different from Chris Potter, at least to my ears.

Cheers,

Brad Stone
KSJS-FM
San Jose

For the fusion lovers out there.....Tone Center has done it again. Their latest "The Royal Dan - A Tribute," is fantastic. It's a tribute of course to Steely Dan but all instrumental. The rhythm section features the amazing Vinnie Colaiuta playing drums, Jimmy Haslip from the Yellowjackets - bass - and Peter Wolf keyboards. Ernie Watts is playing saxophone and it also features several guitar players ....including Al Di Meola, Mike Stern, Frank Gambale, Robben Ford, Jeff Richman and a few more.

I don't think everyone gets serviced their product but for lovers of that style it's certainly worth checking into.

Jae Sinnett
WHRV FM
Norfolk VA

If you are a JPL subscriber and not a subscriber to JazzWeek, you're missing out!

Registration is also open for the JazzWeek Summit, June 15-17 in Rochester, N.Y.