[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 4/8/06

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Apr 29 00:32:25 EDT 2006

JAZZ FROM STUDIO FOUR
Friday, April 28, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

ALL DUKE, ALL THE TIME / DUKE ELLINGTON (b. 4/29/1899)

8:00pm
Horace Parlan: THEME: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Duke Ellington: Body and Soul, Piano in The Foreground (Columbia)
Bobby Short: Rocks in My Bed, Voices of Cool (Atlantic)
Charles Mingus: Mood Indigo, Mingus Dynasty (Columbia)

8:24pm
Miles Davis: The Duke, Miles Ahead (Columbia)
Ernie Andrews: Don't You Know I Care, No Regrets (32 Jazz)
Vincent Herring: Caravan, Ends And Means (HighNote)

8:49pm
Andrew Hill: Sophisticated Lady, Hommage (Test of Time)
Jessica Williams: Warm Valley, All Alone (MaxJazz)
Earl Hines: Satin Doll, Hines Plays Ellington Volume Two (New World Records)
Duke Ellington: Solitude, Solos, Duets and Trios (RCA Bluebird)

9:14pm
Jimmy Grissom: I'm Just A Lucky So and So, Great Jazz Vocalists Sing
Ellington and Strayhorn (Blue Note)
Betty Roche: Sometihng to Live For, Take The "A" Train (Bethleham)
Al Hibbler: My Ev'a Lovin' Baby, Al Hibbler 1946-1949 (Classics)
Joe Chambers: In A Sentimental Mood, The Outlaw (Savant)

9:36pm
Barry Harris: To Duke With Love, Reflections (Red Records)
Joe Temperley: Sunset & A Mocking Bird, Nighengale (HEP Records)
Greg Osby: East St Louis Toodle-Oo, St Louis shoes (Blue Note)
Duke Ellington: All The Things You Are, Piano in The Foreground (Columbia)

10:05pm
Duke Ellington; John Coltrane: The Feeling of Jazz, Ellington & Coltrane
(Impulse)
Stan Getz: Blood Count, Anniversary (Emarcy)
Roland Kirk: Creole Love Call, The Inflated Tear (Atlantic/Rhino)
Mark Murphy: A Flower is A Lovesome Thing, Links (Nonesuch)

10:29pm
Brian Lynch: Azalea, 24/7 (Nagel Heyer)
Ray Barretto: The Mooche, Portraits in Jazz and Clave (RCA Victor)
Art Farmer: Star Crossed Lovers, To Duke With Love (Test of time)

10:55pm
Charles Mingus; Jackie Paris: Duke Ellington's Sound of Love,
Changes Two (Atlantic)
BIllie Holiday: Solitude, Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday (Columbia)
Dick Katz: Lotus Blossom, The Line Forms Here (Reservoir)
Abbey Lincoln: Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me, The Great Jazz Vocalists
Sing Ellington and Strayhorn (Blue Note)
Kronos Quartet: Black and Tan Fantasy, The Complete Landmark Sessions
(32 Jazz)

11:16pm
Steve Lacy: The Mystery Song, Evidence (Prestige New Jazz)
Steve Lacy: Day Dream, Soprano Sax (Prestige)
Steve Lacy; Mal Waldron: Azure, Sempre Amore (Soul note)

11:33pm
James Carter; Cyrus Chestnut: Stevedore's Serenade, Duets (Atlantic)
Phil Woods: Heaven, Heaven (Evidence)

11:49pm
Duke Ellington: Springtime in Africa, Piano in The Foreground (Columbia)
Duke Ellington: Wig Wise, Money Jungle (Blue Note)

11:57pm
Duke Ellington: Reflections in D, Piano Reflections (Capital)