[JPL] Ornette Coleman's Liner Notes

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 09:33:24 EDT 2006

On Friday 28 April 2006 13:28, Larry Appelbaum wrote:

> >I have done hundreds of interviews but the Ornette interview is one of a
> >very
> >few that I've ever re-aired. I've been considering putting it up on our
> >website.
>
> Yes, if you can, please put it on your website. Also, you should consider
> compiling your interviews into a book. Get an intern or someone to
> transcribe them. It's a lot of work but it would be a contribution to the
> music world. Better to hear it straight from a musician than a critic or
> academic.
>
> Larry

Ok, I'll put it there as soon as I can dig it out and edit it. Someone just
mentioned that interview to me this past Tuesday night.

The book thing is in the works. A Northeastern University professor, Dr.
Leonard Brown,  went to WGBH and told them that my interviews needed to be
made public. The station put up some money and some students transcribed
about 40 of them. That was years ago and the project stalled but now Leonard
and another Northeastern professor are editing them, mostly for typos,
misspellings and grammatical errors.

Northeastern's Press had expressed interest in a book of my interviews but
they are no longer in business.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston