[JPL] Programming/Musicians

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 20:32:41 EDT 2006

Engaging and entertaining aren't mutually exclusive, yet story telling
can backfire if it is too personal. Has on me, at least, and you're
welcome to laugh at the foibles of egomania on my behalf.  Mentioned
bringing Pharoah Sanders to Grand Rapids before programming a
recording on the radio thinking I provided some insight, and the phone
rings with charges of  WTFcares! coming before the slam down. Nice.
Back to quoting the Groves for you, sir, and thanks for the call.
Egomania and it's pitfalls.

The closest thing radio can do for autobiography is the interview. And
then the announcers work is secondary to the artist's words, is in the
service of them. I thnk that's the preception most listeners expect,
that the music comes first, before the radio. Whether you feel that
way or not is part of the act. Of course producing interviews is time
consuming. We ran an hour-long interview-music feature on Bob James
last weekend to support his appearance at the Sutton's Bay Jazz
Festival. Included music from "Urban Flamingo" (with this Detroit
band) and Billy Kilson's "Pots and Pans."

Thanks for the encouraging words about relating with the audience.