[JPL] ECM Delay

JASS jassav at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 20:48:59 EDT 2006

  Jae Sinnett:  Has anyone noticed this 5-10 second delay at the beginning
of ECM recordings? Not sure of the purpose or why it happens. Is it
something that's happening in the mastering process or is it a conscious
choice? . Perhaps someone can explain this......Five seconds of dead air can
seem like an eternity in radio.

________________________

ECM cds have sent me quickly scanning the board to see what button I didn't
have pushed.  ECM is the only one that has this delay and  to confuse things
even more, every so often, a ECM cd will not have the delay.  I'm always
prepared, and will hit the play button early, but you never know how early.
I too would love to know why they do this.  I am sure it is intentional.
But why?

Larry

Larry Dane-Kellogg
WHCJ  90.3 FM  Jazz 90