[JPL] Explanation of delay from ECM Records

MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 19:31:28 EDT 2006

I too wondered about the opening silence on ECM recordings and even
though I did US PR for ECM Jazz during their final months at BMG
Classics (Nov 98 through May 99), never knew its origin. AFter Jae's
and others' posts I wrote Tina Pelikan at ECM NY and she provided the
following explanation she said she "received from Munich some time
ago." (Hey - that's a good title for a song :-)

"The silence at the beginning of the first track arrived on ECM CDs
in 1992, courtesy of Karlheinz Stockhausen. When we sent him the the
first test-CDs of his "Michaels Reise" he complained that he didn't
have enough time, after pressing the 'play' button, to get to his
favourite armchair before the music started. Thinking about it, we
felt he had a point, that the listener should at least have time to
take a breath and get ready for the journey into the music. The
preparatory silence has been part of the discs ever since."

So that's ECM's explanation...

Mitchell

MFA
Publicity, Radio Promotion & Consulting
For The International Jazz Community

Mitchell Feldman Associates
2059 Heckle Street
Augusta, GA 30904 / USA

Cell:        303.641.4783
Email:	MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net