[JPL] Wynton Marsalis Jazz Times interview

Bob Rogers rwsfin at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 5 22:24:43 EDT 2006

In the current issue of Jazz Times, Wynton Marsalis advises young musicians
moving to New York, that they get their music together, get out there and
play, and don’t read so many magazines (I’m condensing and paraphrasing, but
he did use the magazines phrase).  T

To me, he was saying to get out and play what you enjoy and don’t spend too
much time worrying about what “everybody” thinks or does– that the real heat
that satisfies is self-generated in the pursuit of your life.  It’s
uncommonly good advice, as applicable to music programmers everywhere as to
young jazz musicians in New York.  If music on the radio was always
presented in that spirit, I know it would have many more listeners than it
does.

Bob Rogers
2816 Barmettler Street
Raleigh, NC 27607