[JPL] Very sad news indeed: Moacir Santos

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Mon Aug 7 20:11:17 EDT 2006

LEGENDARY BRAZILIAN COMPOSER AND ARRANGER MOACIR SANTOS DIES AT 80 YEARS OF AGE

Acclaimed Musician Had Recently Won Both Shell Music and Premio Tim Awards

Moacir Santos, the legendary composer and arranger whose body of work
served to expand popular preconceptions of Brazilian music beyond bossa
nova and Musica Popular Brasileira (MPB), died in Pasadena, California on
Sunday, August 6th.  Santos was recently enjoying a resurgence of interest
in his career, thanks in part to the efforts of producers Mario Adnet and
Ze Nogueira, and New York based record label Adventure Music.

“Moacir’s passing is a monumental loss to Brazilian music and to music in
general,” said Mario Adnet.  “These recent accolades are proof that Ze
Nogueira’s and my belief in Moacir’s legacy was shared by his fellow
Brazilians and by the world.”

Richard Zirinsky, Jr., President of Adventure Music, said, “It is with
great sadness that we learn of the passing of our friend Moacir Santos, and
we send our deepest condolences to Moacir's wife, Cleonice, and to their
son, Moacir, Jr., as they mourn the loss of their beloved husband and
father. Adventure Music feels honored and quite proud to have worked with
Moacir and both Mario Adnet and Ze Nogueira in releasing both "Ouro Negro”
and "Choros & Alegria" and feels strongly that both of these incredible
works will only help to celebrate the amazing life and music of this fine
man, who will be greatly missed.”

Santos’ two recent releases on Adventure Music, “Ouro Negro” and “Choros &
Alegria,” earned considerable acclaim from such respected media outlets as
the New York, Times, National Public Radio, Downbeat, Jazziz and Jazz Times
magazines.

The All Music Guide recently said that “Santos uses a big band the way a
painter uses a brush, painting broad or delicate strokes as the mood
strikes.  More importantly, at its core, his music speaks to the heart and
soul of Afro Brazil.”

Moacir Santos was regarded as a walking encyclopedia in the realm of
Brazilian instrumental music. Many of the musicians who have come to
exemplify Brazilian music to US audiences, such as Dori Caymmi and Sérgio
Mendes have cited his influence.  The late Brazilian guitar ace Baden
Powell was Moacir’s pupil, and revered his master on the song “Samba da
Benção.”

Santos gained status as an arranger while working on the radio in Brazil in
the 1950s.  According to Santos, one of his most important works in Brazil
was the soundtrack he wrote for the movie “Amor no Pacifico (Love in the
Pacific),” which opened the doors for him to both the Brazilian and
international markets, and eventually prompted his move to the United
States in 1967.  In America, he recorded four solo albums, three of them
for the renowned jazz label Blue Note, and one of them nominated for a
Grammyä Award.  He also wrote soundtracks in Hollywood and taught numerous
students, including Sérgio Mendes.

His first release for Adventure Music was “Ouro Negro”, which was
originally released in Brazil in 2001, and which the New York Times then
named as one of the best recordings of the year not available in the
U.S.  The CD’s 2004 U.S. release, and the subsequent release of 2005’s
“Choros & Alegria,” served to finally draw long over-due attention to
Santos’ incredible musical legacy.

For additional information, please contact Cary Goldberg at 310-676-1692,
or <mailto:gomediapr at earthlink.net>gomediapr at earthlink.net.

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood