[JPL] Telluride Jazz

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Wed Aug 9 01:39:47 EDT 2006

Just back from my favorite festival and I wish I could have taken you all
with me, please put the Telluride Jazz Celebration on your wish list.  The
jazz was grand because the players were so inspired by the beauty of this
village set high in the San Juan Mountains.  The outdoor festival goes from
noon to 7pm and you can watch the sky move rain across the Mountains while
you listen to these talented players stretch. At night you could hear Nnenna
Freelon, Ernie Watts or Terence Blanchard perform in a little theater that
looks like something out of the old west and seats fewer than 200 people.
Herbie Hancock was inspiring and surprising with his new band featuring
violinist Lilly Hayden and he did a few of his old standards with a whole
new flavor.

Summer is the time for festivals with sunshine and jazz mingling in the
summer air, and I think it's a great way to listen to the music we love.  I
encourage you to find a show near you and treat yourself to one if you can
get away.  It's like that first date and just reminds us how we fell in love
with this unique and beautiful music.

It was fun to run into team KUVO and to be part of the listening audience
instead of planning the show, and in Telluride the audience IS listening.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
91.5 Fm