[JPL] Walter Becker blindfold

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 13:53:50 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/9/2006 1:18:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

<<..I would also expect someone like him to dis the soprano but true  jazz
folk? I guess Trane, Garrett, Marsalis, Liebman, Shorter, Wilson, Potter,
Cannon, Roscoe Mitchell, Joshua Redman, etc.....were all just wasting their  time
and playing noise on this crappy stick figure of metal. I think  not..>>

Few of these players used the soprano primarily, it came into their
repertoire only when the musical composition was appropriate. Even Kenton used a
soprano once or twice, on some great Gene Roland numbers. It can fit, but aside
from Dave Liebman, the names you cite are reedmen who primarily use "real"
saxophones.

Ed