[JPL] Walter Becker blindfold

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 15:06:02 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/9/2006 2:53:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

<<..Not liking the instrument as a personal preference is one  thing but to
imply it has no value in this music........  >>

I wasn't as serious as might have appeared. But it does seem to be true  that
soprano sax has a greater difficulty finding its place in Jazz than most
other reed instruments. Most instrumentalists choose a primary instrument and
than a distant second. Almost none (Liebman the seeming exception on the current
 scene) have made a stand with the soprano as their primary instrument. There
 must be a reason.

I confess that soprano is my least favorite of instruments that appear
within the Jazz context, though I cited some positive examples. Tongue was  firmly
implanted in cheek when I referred to soprano versus "real"  instruments...I
should have added an emoticon.
    ;-)

Ed