[JPL] Walter Becker blindfold

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 15:20:22 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/9/2006 2:47:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
eric-jackson at comcast.net writes:

<<..I'm not sure what the point is that you are trying to make. I  don't
think that
because someone plays the tenor more than they play the  soprano that their
soprano playing has less validity, if that's the point  you are making. Okay,
it wasn't their primary instrument. Why is that  important?..>>

Your entire post was well-reasoned, Eric, thanks for putting my feet to the
fire, especially as regards the early players. After hearing something by
Bechet, I seem to find myself saying "...and that was a soprano." What he  was
playing was well-suited to the instrument, and perhaps I've heard too much  in
recent years that didn't seem so well-suited.

My point about the soprano being a distant second choice for so many
performers revolved around the belief that there must be a reason that they have
made this choice. I believe the soprano "sounds" less-suited to this medium than
other reed instruments.

Your attitude about screening for personal preferences is certainly
responsible.

I never said, nor do I think I implied, that someone's playing on soprano
saxophone had less validity than on other instruments. I just think this
instrument is a more difficult fit in Jazz, and many (if not most) alto,  tenor, and
bari players recognize that fact; either that, or they recognize that  the
audiences might go nuts (or go away) if they only played soprano.

Ed