[JPL] SAX Heritage/Walter Becker blindfold

OntheBeach at aol.com OntheBeach at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 15:20:56 EDT 2006

folks:
eric jackson makes an excellent point.  both soprano sax [and  clarinet] had
mighty influences on the development of saxophone playing and  major
saxophonists.

there exists for just one example, an unmistakable linkage between   the
soprano of sidnet bechet to the clarinet of alvin batiste with the (tenor  and)
soprano of john coltrane.

it should not be overlooked that mr. becker (along with mssr. fagen) has
demonstrated a preference for tenor players [and always employed outstanding
ones on their recordings]; is a master of irony, sarcasm and self  effacement.
this is one very smart (and frequently smart-assed)  musician/artist.  he did
after all title his first solo LP "12 Tracks of  Whack"

never forget that becker and fagen can frequently be found with tobgue
squarely planted in cheek. ..

without question this extends to drummers: Steely Dan always used the best
of the best

i found walter's blindfold very entertaining.  let us not forget  Steely Dan
probably did more to create recognition for jazz and jazz musicians  than any
"pop" group ever.  Becker & Fagan's respect for jazz is  obvious.

okay--my bias should be revealed here: Weather Report and Steely Dan were  my
two favorite groups during my radio days in the 70s...and remain all these
years later right up there with the all-time greats.

...don't take me alive...i still haven't lost that number

ricky schultz