[JPL] Walter Becker blindfold

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 10 14:53:30 EDT 2006

A couple of notable names missing from the list are Jane Ira Bloom
and Jane Bunnett.  To my ears at least, these two women bring out the
best qualities of the instrument, they're both original in their
approach and neither is tenor player doubling (or dabbling) on
soprano!   Jane Ira Bloom brings out the sweetest sound on the
instrument of anybody I've heard.  Jane Bunnett's imaginative
incorporation of traditional Cuban music and modern jazz is a new
blend that carries us beyond the tradition.

BTW, I don't think the soprano is a difficult instrument to play.
I've played soprano, alto and baritone.  The fingering is the same on
all saxes, but the bari takes a whole LOT more wind than the
soprano.  I think it comes down to a musician's concept and tonal
production whether or not you can make good music on a soprano sax or
any instrument - including harmonica, accordion, banjo or mandolin.
(well, maybe a little more difficult on the latter two)   ;-)

I admire anyone who can play clarinet.  It's one of the most fiendish
contraptions devised by man.  Pete Christlieb says his clarinet
squeaks when it's still in the case!

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org