[JPL] RE: jazz roundtable

Bob Rogers rwsfin at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 20:32:50 EDT 2006

Fred,

Thanks for your email.

Yes, it's very obvious to me that jazz radio as we know it, has been headed
for the boneyard for years.  Personally I am very pleased to know that it
has finally come to this, as it allows(some would say forces) people to
finally rethink how to present this music.  A lot of jazz radio sounds
pretty tired to me -- not the music, just the presentation.

That's very exciting, as I have a few ideas and no one can say they have
demonstrably better ones.  They don't.  I feel that the present situation in
jazz radio  presents anyone with fresh ideas, a little moxie and some
energy, a unique  opportunity to help get jazz radio out of its
self-inflicted ghetto. This would result in something that would be much
more helpful to the music itself and to the people who play it.

I'm delighted to acknowedge the problems that are present in jazz radio. The
Firesign Theater, an improvisational comedy group in LA, had an album out
years ago that was called, "Everything You Know Is Wrong."  It's like that,
and how cool is that?

Bob Rogers
2816 Barmettler Street
Raleigh, NC 27607