[JPL] 1st Annual KUVO Jazz on Film Festival

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Fri Aug 11 17:46:22 EDT 2006

During my tenure at WDNA, Miami I was the co-founder of the WDNA Film
Festival that began as a single afternoon affair and now has evolved into a
4 day event. Here in Denver we lost the annual Denver Jazz Film Festival
last year after the organizers decided to call it quits after over 10 years
of presentations leaving a void. With that in mind I suggested to my
management colleagues that we begin our own film fest and they all agreed,
the consensus was since I had the experience I should spearhead the event
and after several months preparation we are set to go forth with this
project.

Saturday August 26th jazz89KUVO presents A Night of Jazz on Film as part of
our Now Serving Capital Campaign Fundraisers, a series of different events
to raise funds for our future transmission tower move. We will have an
opening reception with food, beverages and live music with special guests.
We will begin the screenings with 2 jazz cartoons followed by the Colorado
and Western states premier of "Hands of Fire: The Cándido Camero Story", we
then screen "Oscar Brown Jr: Music is my Life, Politics is my Mistress".
After the screenings we will have another reception serving coffee and
desserts. Cándido "1-Thousand Fingers" Camero will be our special invited
guest for the evening, he will meet n greet his fans and answers questions
about his documentary. Also present will be filmmaker donnie l. betts and
Oscar's daughter Maggie Brown to field questions about the Brown film. The
event takes place at the newly renovated Aurora Fox Theatre, an "old-time
movie house" and what would an evening at the movies be without serving some
freshly made, in-house popcorn so we'll have plenty of it, with and without
butter.

"Candyman" Camero has been in the USA since the late 40's and has played
with Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Sweets Edison, Dr. Billy Taylor, Tony Bennet,
Erroll Garner, Machito, Chico O'Farril, Stan Kenton. Dexter, Tito Puente and
countless others. Cándido and Mongo were childhood friends and in the Winter
of 2002 when the Tropicana All-Stars with Camero came to the Miami Beach
Convention Center to pay homage to Pérez Prado, I took Mongo and his family
to the concert and then took Mongo backstage to meet Candyman, they had not
seen each other in several years so it was sort of a reunion. To see them
embrace and then sit down with many of the orchestra members at their sides
while they held court and related story after story about, Havana, NY, their
travels, their colloborations, the folks they played with etc was worth a
million dollars, heck it was priceless. Less than 3 months later Mongo
passed away so it turned out to be the last time Candy was with Mongo,
shortly after Mongo's burial I made my move to Denver and KUVO.

Portions of the Oscar Brown Jr docu were filmed at jazz89KUVO and Denver
music spots, in the last several years of his life Oscar would visit Denver
for extended periods of time. He and I had profound conversations about Cuba
after he finally managed to attain his goal of traveling to Cuba in early
2003. Oscar's anecdote about his inspiration to write lyrics for Mongo's
Afro Blue was quite moving, fortunately Oscar informed he was able to tell
Mongo why he wrote not only the lyrics but why he chose the theme he did for
them shortly after penning the words way back when.

If any forum member is interested in obtaining a copy of either film to
screen for their station or a local film festival, don't hesitate to contact
me.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City