[JPL] What with this "real jazz" label??????????

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Fri Aug 11 18:32:37 EDT 2006

I seems to be that there is no need to use a term that lately has been
appearing with more frequency in jazz circles, I am talking about "real
jazz", that is redundancy in my estimation. It is either jazz or it is not,
if its jazz it is real, and if it is not jazz then it is not. I suppose this
is a term in response to the smoove j word, let's not lower ourselves to
that level. We all know that the smooth formats are not jazz, it is only a
marketing term so why countermove with a silly adjective? There are enough
labels within the genre of jazz, why create another one that has no
substance?

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City