[JPL] Where has the passion gone?

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Sun Aug 13 07:52:18 EDT 2006

I'm not sure I totally agree John. I think it's a little more
complicated than just a loss of passion. I think much of it lies in the
on air approach that most hosts project, though once again that's way
too simple.I can listen to the better college stations here in Boston
and hear lots of passion but the presentation is very unprofessional
and hard to listen to but they certainly love the music. On the other
hand I can listen to guys who I know are passionate and I know they
love being there for their shifts and do the research but sound dead.
No I think the inconsistency that most stations project in relation to
on air sound has more to do with it. Each station really does need to
define their on air approach and make sure that every host adheres to
that approach. The reaction I get most from people when they complain
about Jazz radio is that they find the 4-5 minute discourses on the
music between sets boring, passionate or not, knowledgeable or not. The
general feeling is really of a need to be entertained by their radio
not talked down to by their radio. Again this is to simple an
explanation.My feeling is that most hosts need to lighten up, have fun
with the music. Who cares whether you know more than the audience. I
don't want a stand up routine just show me your having fun playing
music for people. Keep it moving. A stop set isn't about the momentum
of the music stopping but providing continuity to the next set.

As Jae mentioned each market is different and people react to their
radios differently. We have lots of colleges and College radio here.
What they offer is different music choices from the Commercial and NPR
stations but they certainly don't define the Boston market. I really
think Jazz radio needs to enter the new century and realize what role
it plays and can play in people's lives. We're way behind the times and
playing catch up. Has the passion been lost ? I don't think so, we just
don't know how to show how really passionate we are about the music

Jeff Turton
WFNX Jazz Brunch