[JPL] Fundraisers - Host Or Music?

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 14:32:25 EDT 2006

Both of course...to a degree.....I thought about this a while ago and some recent off JPL emails made me think about this again.....During the fundraisers it's pretty much protocol for none of the announcers to get off. However, the Ella Fitzgerald Jazz Fest here happened to fall right smack in the middle of a couple of our fundraisers. I am the MC for the fest and the station considers it important enough to let me have off to do the MC duties because it greatly benefits the station. Before we set up our automation system I had a sub for 13 years sit in for me when I was out. Now if so, I would automate. That's an interesting bit of technological trickery in itself - automating a fundraising show. One of the times during the festival he sat in for me during the fundraiser. He did so poorly that he said he never wanted to do it again - less then $300 each evening. Now I will add that he is our folk music host and a seasoned fundraiser (also part time jazz host) on Sunday
 evenings and has been for 15 years so he's no stranger to our audience.

  My questions......I'm curious to know what others think about this....during the fundraisers do you think listeners pledging more for the host or music? I think about some of the programmers on this list......and think what if Eric, Bobby, Linda, Tom, John....etc....had some subs for their fundraisers - what would the result be? Have any of you experienced this? What were the results? I see what many are playing and in many cases it's not that different and it's interesting how varied the results can be during the fundraisers. Just curious........

  Jae Sinnett