[JPL] Where has the passion gone?/steps to improve on air presentation

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 17:06:31 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/13/2006 2:24:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
OntheBeach at aol.com writes:

<<..when i was on air (and MD) i always encouraged the dj's to  NEVER utter
the
phrase:
[so often heard on jazz airwaves] "OF  COURSE THAT WAS....."..>>

I couldn't agree more. "Of course" is the most abused two-word phrase in  the
language (at least of the two-word phrases that can be used in polite
company). The speaker is setting him/herself above all the uninformed masses and
speaking down to them. It happens less in conversation, but seems to  occur a
lot in group emails, (at least on other lists to which I  belong).

Speaking of pet peeves or caveats (good idea for a thread): At the other  end
of the spectrum, we need to be careful about nicknames without explanation.
One of the first albums I ever purchased mentioned somebody who had played
with  Bird, but I had no idea of who that meant (cut me some slack here, it was
50  years ago). We can say Prez, Little Jazz, Bird, and Jaws among a
well-defined discussion group, and everyone will know who we mean. But when  addressing
masses, including some who may be hearing Jazz for the first time, we  need
to think about everyone, not just the cognoscenti.

Ed