[JPL] Fundraisers - Host Or Music?

Shaunna Morrison Machosky morrison at wduq.org
Mon Aug 14 11:32:50 EDT 2006

Pledge - related stuff, in two parts -- ***skip this if you're not
interested in a bunch of fundraising minutiae ***

Some things that have worked here at DUQ, then some about automation...

Unfortunately, you never know what is going to make people call or
pledge online.  As many fellow programmers here can attest, you can
be sounding absolutely great one day with a lot of pledges coming in,
and sounding the same or better the following day but receiving half
as many calls.

Here at DUQ, jazz listeners pledge during Morning Edition and NPR
newsmag listeners pledge during jazz -- not just during when they are
listening. (please note that I'm coming from a station that has over
100 hours of jazz a week, the rest NPR newsmags and other programming)

No matter how many pledges are coming in, you have to sound
consistent with your messages, and not sound like you're dead tired
with two days left to go in a two week drive.

A point that Jae made in an earlier post is a good one -- *ask for
higher dollar amounts*.  That has worked really well here at DUQ.
Our average gift is around $100.  "Thank You Gift" levels start at
$75 (coffee mugs) -- single cd's are always at $100 -- 2 cd sets at
$150 -- boxed sets higher.

Here are some additional things that have worked well here:

- stress credit card payments (saves paper and postage, no pledge reminders)

- setting up 'installment plans' (listeners can pay for their $100
pledge $10 a month instead of a lump sum -- it's probably the
smallest monthly bill they have)

- setting up 'sustaining memberships' (listeners specify a dollar
amount to be charged to their credit card every month -- this
continues until they tell us to stop -- again, no pledge reminders,
and their membership never expires)

- stress your station's mission and service to the community -- not
just how great your show is (even though we all know jazz is the best
part of the day)

- state your goals, overall for the drive and/or any goal you have
for a particular program

- if you give away a whole lot of different cd's, cut them back to
just a few, make them available every day throughout the drive (not
giving away a special cd on 'one night only') and mention them
throughout the day, not just during jazz programming

- *pre-recorded spots* make you sound good.  When you have 4 minutes
to pitch, it's really nice to make a couple of very clear points,
play a spot, then come out of it sounding fresh and on-message.

- here at DUQ, we have a bunch of prerecorded things that can also be
programmed in if we have to automate a shift:

  "process spots" (spots that tell listeners how to use their credit
card to set up an installment plan, how a sustaining membership
works, etc)

"premium spots" (kind of "infomercials" -- a jazz host tells a story
about one of the cd's we are using as a 'thank you gift', or we'll
have a spot describing a coffee mug)  This has worked out well -- we
can pitch music gifts during non-jazz programming (and our news
people don't have to describe the cd -- just how to get it).  Whoever
is pitching doesn't have to figure out every time they go on just how
to describe a mug that they are tired of seeing.

We also have listener testimonials, spots stressing the importance of
membership, program-specific spots from the program hosts, etc.

*** About automation: ***

Automation is great so you don't have to lose the personality that is
such a part of your programming.  People definitely listen for the
music, but listeners call and say, "Oh, I love (**host**), and the
music is great, too."  Both are important.

With automation, the host is there.  Nothing ever totally replaces
the energy a host and other pitchers have when on live, but
automation with their presence is so much better than doing nothing.
Listeners still respond.

- We've been able to automate the evening shift when our host has to
MC an event, rather than totally replace him with someone else.  All
the music is programmed in, the breaks are voice-tracked by him,
pledge breaks are voice-tracked by him.  Pre-recorded pledge spots
are added in. It sounds better when we have someone else there live
to do a couple of extra pitches -- sounds active, especially when
pledges begin coming in.  The live person will say, "I'm here tonight
with (***host**), then give a short pitch, state the overall goal for
the night, etc.

- Two hours in the afternoon are always automated as such as well.

I'd love to hear what others are doing for their drives (on-list or
off).  Any great ideas that have worked for your station?

-Shaunna

Shaunna Morrison Machosky
Music Director
WDUQ 90.5 FM

>Both of course...to a degree.....I thought about this a while ago
>and some recent off JPL emails made me think about this
>again.....During the fundraisers it's pretty much protocol for none
>of the announcers to get off. However, the Ella Fitzgerald Jazz Fest
>here happened to fall right smack in the middle of a couple of our
>fundraisers. I am the MC for the fest and the station considers it
>important enough to let me have off to do the MC duties because it
>greatly benefits the station. Before we set up our automation system
>I had a sub for 13 years sit in for me when I was out. Now if so, I
>would automate. That's an interesting bit of technological trickery
>in itself - automating a fundraising show. One of the times during
>the festival he sat in for me during the fundraiser. He did so
>poorly that he said he never wanted to do it again - less then $300
>each evening. Now I will add that he is our folk music host and a
>seasoned fundraiser (also part time jazz host) on Sunday
>  evenings and has been for 15 years so he's no stranger to our audience.
>
>   My questions......I'm curious to know what others think about
>this....during the fundraisers do you think listeners pledging more
>for the host or music? I think about some of the programmers on this
>list......and think what if Eric, Bobby, Linda, Tom,
>John....etc....had some subs for their fundraisers - what would the
>result be? Have any of you experienced this? What were the results?
>I see what many are playing and in many cases it's not that
>different and it's interesting how varied the results can be during
>the fundraisers. Just curious........
>
>   Jae Sinnett

************* from an earlier message from Jae **********************

Basic marketing tells us that folk have to hear something at least
three times before folk react - remember that headache medicine
commercial? I think it's called "Heads On" or something like that.
They say it three times. The other part and most importantly for us
during the drives.......is we get what we ask for. Too often this is
underestimated during the drives. There's a lot of truth in this.
That was the first change I made during my air time. I mentioned this
to someone and they said....."well Jae, that's good but you'll lose
in your numbers of folk pledging." I focused on our "mid" level
pledge amount which is $120. I use that dollar amount as my "base"
now so over the past six years my average pledge dollar amount for my
show is  $125. The highest of any show we air. The other part is the
credit card incentive......

   I constantly ask for the credit card and my credit card pledges are
at 98 percent. Again, the highest of any program. Plus, it's instant
money....if the credit card goes through of course. I also give them
reasons for using the credit card like better thank you gifts or that
it cuts down on "us" having to send them thank you reminders and
monthly billing statements.

************* from an earlier message from Tom *********************

Jae makes some valid points and every market is different and their is
not "a one size fits all" for us in Jazz Radio. I suggest that when you
share your experiences and success stories as well as learning
experiences that you include the power of your station and if PUBLIC
what your are Fund Drive GOALS. These two items help put things in
perspective very quickly.
*
WTEB-FM 100,000 Watts with $500,000.00 in Fund Drive Goals per year
broken down into two $250,000 drives in the Spring and Fall. *

ALOHA Tom