[JPL] What with this "real jazz" label??????????

Peter Solomon psolomon at ideastations.org
Mon Aug 14 22:12:46 EDT 2006

   <!DOCTYPE  HTML  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
   Jazz Programmers   >  I  seems  to be that there is no need to use a term that lately has
   been   > appearing with more frequency in jazz circles, I am talking about
   >  "real  jazz",  that  is redundancy in my estimation. It is eith   jazz or
   >  it is not, if its jazz it is real, and if it is not jazz then it is
   >  not.  I  suppose  this  is a term in response to the smoove j word,
   let's    >  not  lower  ourselves  to  that  level. We all know that the smooth
   formats   >  are not jazz, it is only a marketing term so why countermove with a
   >  silly  adjective? There are enough labels within the genre of jazz,
   why   > create another one that has no substance?
   What's  wrong with not having substance? Why can't we embrace our lack
   of su   Re:  the  question of real jazz, according to Rudi Blesh real jazz was
   finish   what he migh   Peter S Richmond VA