[JPL] Obscure but important percussionist dies....

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Aug 17 13:45:53 EDT 2006

Ray Romero, an important Puerto Rican percussionist who's career spanned the
late 1930's until he retired in the 1990's passed away Tusday night Aug.
15th  at his daughter's home in Miami, he was 83 years old. Ray was born
June 18th 1923 in the very musical town of Ponce, Puerto Rico. He played
timbales, bongó and congas to perfection. He was part of the many early
mambo and Latin jazz bands in NYC, Xavier Cugat, Noro Morales, Miguelito
Valdés Big Band and other in the 40s and 50s. His biggest influences were
Chano Pozo and Cándido Camero. In the 60s and 70s he played with Tito Puente
and  Ray Barretto, among many others. Ray Romero also worked for Eartha Kitt
and Sammy Davis Jr. Ray Romero stood about 5ft and was named "Mosquito",
(Little Fly) and "Ll" Ray.

As soon as I locate an obit I will post it here. he had been quite ill the
past several years. While I was at WDNA, Miami I had the distinct pleasure
of interviewing him in 1999 or 2000. What moved me most about the man was
his humbleness and open mind, he was on top of what was going on in jazz,
Latin music and pop music.  Hernán Ray Romero June 18th, 1923 Ponce-Puerto
Rico-August 15th, 2006 Miami-FL.

Arturo