[JPL] Sean Jones/Gospel/Tomasz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 13:55:12 EDT 2006

The writing and arrangements on this release are wonderful. Sean and Tia sound great as does the band. Certainly one of the most impressive releases I've heard this year. I am curious about something.......Many years ago now I remember sitting in on a staff content meeting and the topic of music with religious overtones came up. Some debated that we shouldn't play these pieces because they may offend others from different denominational groups. I think at that time what spurred this debate was Christmas then it went on from there. Fortunately from my perspective we never had those discussions again and no order came down that we had to limit what we played from this perspective but use good judgement. I'm curious to know and considering the gospel and spirtual overtones on this release are there any that might perhaps shy away from playing a recording like this because of these religious inflections? Perhaps a sensitive topic but I am curious if other stations had similar
 debates about this.

  Is the recording quality on this Tomasz Stanko Quartet release magnificent or what? One thing for sure Manfred Eicher knows how to record some music. I'm playing "Song For Ania" and "Sweet Thing" from "Lontano." Beautiful.

  Jae Sinnett
  WHRV FM
  Norfolk VA